Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Being a Noodle...

So, I went into see my maternity Physical Therapist for the first time today. Her name's Val, and she's really sweet. She and my normal physical therapist (Jeremy) talked for a few and he filled her in on my last years worth of physical therpay progress, etc. Then... we got to work...

I am a "noodle" (granted, I have been called worse!) and it seems to be causing me issues and will cause me even more issues in my pregnancy. All the freaky flexibility I got thanks to cheerleading and gymnastics in high school is collectively screwing my body. So, at 28 and 10 weeks pregnant, I am fitted with an SI belt to try and keep my wiggly jiggly pelvis into alignment. My pelvis had slipped out of alignment back when I was just starting with Jeremy about a year ago. We got it back into place, and hadn't had a problem since... till Monday when I saw him. There was my pelvis out of alignment again. So, we get it back into place. Over, done with for another year again, right? WRONG.

I go in for my initial consult with Val, and it gets out of alignment 3 times during the hour with her. GLORIOUS. She said that with pregnancy, our ligaments and joints soften to accomodate our changing bodies. This makes total sense and is all fine and good, except that when your pelvis is out of alignment, it puts massive pressure and pinches all those fun nerves in your lower back, AKA Sciatic Nerve area. So here I am with jiggly joints and lower back pain... knowing it's only gonna get worse. I guess being able to put my ankles behind my head is coming back to bite me in the ass.

THAT is why I have 2 physical therapists working with me to try and get my poor broken body through this pregnancy though... because if I'm this much of a physical wreck at 10 weeks, I can only imagine how I will be when I'm as big as a house. On top of my normal PT appts with Jeremy, that we have bumped up to every other week again, I will also be seeing Val every 2 weeks, or more. I get to see her again in the morning. And next Tuesday. Thank God for good insurance!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment