Thursday, March 10, 2011

14 weeks, Puppy, and Ultrasound

First off, I want to say sorry for not posting recently. There has been a lot going on. Most of it good, some of it not so good, but I think I'll stick with the good on here. All is good with Scott and I and the baby, so no worries there, just some other stuff going on that I won't get into right now.

So, for the good stuff:

1) We got a puppy. :-) Meet Hailey.
This is our Hailey-bug as I like to call her!
We got our yellow lab puppy Hailey almost 2 weeks ago now. She'll be 3 months old on the 12th. She is our latest addition, and I have to say, is great parenting practice. Hahahaha.

Potty-training has it's good days and bad days at the moment, but we are making progress. She loves her toys, and will get to be about 70lbs when all is said and done. We might be masochists, but we thought the timing was actually really good with getting her, because we wanted a dog that would grow up with the baby, and figure we have 6 months to train her before our little one comes. She is a really good dog, and we wanted a bigger dog, seeing as how we know Dolce, my chihuahua would not be nearly as tolerant of a toddler "petting" her aggressively.

Labs are known for their loyalty and gentleness, as well as their intelligence and trainability. Hailey has already learned to "sit" and we are having less and less accidents in the house. As with a child though, we know it will take time. She is a great exercise in learning patience! Overall though, she has been a wonderful and welcome addition to the family!

2) Doctors Appointments and Ultrasound:

We had our first mid-wife appointment last Monday. My bloodwork came back that I am B-Neg bloodtype, which means that I will have to get a shot of Rohgam at about 27 weeks to prevent my blood potentially mistaking the baby's blood (if the baby has positive blood) as an intruder. As usual (and to the surprise of few) I am one of the few "weird" ones, with only about 2% of the population being B-Neg. Nothing with me can be normal, can it!? hahaha

Everything is going well with the baby (despite it's weird mother and her rare blood type), and we got to hear the heart-beat during the visit. Little one has a strong ticker! Low and behold, only 1 heart beat! (whew, dodged a bullet with that one!) The Midwife also confirmed that I was measuring tight on track for only having one in there, so that was a big worry lifted.

We then asked about ultrasounds, because, ultimately, I'm impatient and don't want to wait another 2 months to see our baby. hahaha. The way to get the ultrasounds, and also get insurance to cover it, was through genetic testing, which would test for Down's Syndrome risk level. Completely non-invasive, just needing blood work from me and 2 ultrasounds where they measure the fluid between the baby's spine and skin. Though we hadn't planned on doing the testing, knowing we will love this baby no matter what, if it got me to get to see our little one sooner, I figured, why not! :-) We made an appointment for last Friday to have the ultrasound.

Friday was AMAZING. There is nothing quite like seeing your baby for the first time. Baby was very active, and very healthy! We got to see the baby have hiccups, all 5 fingers on both hands, the face, etc... You can see also below! Ultimately, everything is perfectly normal and healthy, and they assess the risk for Down's syndrome a very very low 1 in 7,600. As much as we didn't plan on knowing if anything was wrong, it was also nice to hear that everything was normal and healthy.

A number of you have probably already gotten text messages of the ultrasound pictures, but here are all of them. :-)







Meet our Baby!! We still won't know the gender for a month or two, but it was wonderful seeing an active, healthy little one in there. I can't wait till I can feel the movements of him or her! :-)

3) 14 Weeks:

Well, as of today, I am 14 weeks. I finally broke down last weekend and picked up maternity clothes. I never knew maternity pants could be so comfortable!!! Ross had a great selection for really reasonable prices. I have been feeling great lately. Some of the back pain I have been experiencing has lessened, at least a bit. Work has been great, and as usual, Scott has been soooo supporting. I don't know what I would do without him. He's my rock!

Well, that's about it for now. I'll try to get on here more often, and hopefully the "other things" that are going on will be resolved soon. I hope all is well for all of you!

~Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment